Saturday, June 28, 2014

Little Hands

I've been blessed with two extra sets of hands in my life for over six years. The last five years they have been helping me in many different ways.

They've helped me learn the gift of flowers.



The showed me the love of trees.


These little hands have taught me to get dirty and play with the earth.


They taught me to rest when I'm tired,

to keep going even when I might be stuck on high ground,

and at the end of the day to always enjoy the quiet moments in nature.

What I wasn't ready for was the day that these little hands grew. I wasn't ready for the day that they came to me and said 'Mama, I taught myself to make bracelets!"
After I took this picture to document her triumph, as well as her ability to follow instructions out of a book without any help or the ability to read, I noticed her hands. They were strong and her bones were defined. The chunky fingers that wrapped around mine while we walked or fell asleep had grown into fine tools.

These hands can hold a needle and create with little guidance. These hands are learning to cook, clean more effectively and knit. These hands continue to stretch, grow, touch and learn all that life has to offer.


These hands have held my heart from the moment theirs started beating. These hands, all four of them, are the greatest gift I have ever received. I look forward to seeing what they can teach me next.

Endless Moments Await,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment