Sunday, January 19, 2014

Releasing the glitter fears

I took the glitter out of hiding.

I reorganized our exploration area so we had access to all things creative and interesting. Then I pulled the special glitter container out of hiding. I held back my natural urge to cringe as I placed it in an area where the girls could reach it. I forced a smile as they cheered and put the container in a place of honor on their craft shelf.

We are big on glitter. It's sparkly and makes everything fancy and fun. It also creates a mess when it's spilled or not glued down enough. I am forever removing glitter from places I would rather not have glitter present. Here's the thing though, my girls love it. They think that all art should include it. They mix it in paint, glue, water, and even mud. It's what they love and I have been putting it in hiding only to be brought out for special occasions. {Read: when I feel like cleaning it up} So after purchasing glitter glue and even glitter paint I finally realized that nothing will replace the fun of those little sparkles falling onto the page as they are shook from their clear plastic containers.

What have I learned from this (aside from my OCD tendencies on things messy)? I've learned again that I just need to trust my girls to make the right choices. I've also learned that letting them make a mess is ok because we can clean it up. Life is messy. My children should have a space that they can be messy when their creative spark is ignited. All the messy things in the house are now at their level. I'm working on not controlling how messy it gets. One step at time, one project at a time.


Creatively yours,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment